Saturday, July 21, 2007

BLASTER SANDY....in Ajo, Arizona




The end of June I spent a couple days in Ajo, AZ. The mine in Ajo has not produced copper for many years. All the buildings were recently completely demolished, the last to come down was the smelter stack. Phelps Dodge had hired CDI a demolition company that implodes sites in Las Vegas, many continents, they were apart of Twin Towers and the Federal building in Oklahoma implosions; a very popular and experienced international company. It was so very interesting to visit with the gentleman that came to Ajo for this job. At dinner the group mentioned me putting dynomite into the stack. They didn't know me well...and of course I jumped on the idea. They joked about me being one of the super-heroes. One conversation led to another and by the next morning, (just like being at girl's camp and the fun pranks)one of the guys had made me my cape; BLASTER SANDY. On one whole side of the stack, I loaded each stick of dynomite and attached particular strings. One particular "string" would burn 2000 feet per second. The holes were previously drilled with precise placing, my job was just to load the sticks and preparing the string. It took me an hour and my face was dusty with dirt and powder. It was beyond fun and interesting. I was also told the demolition of the stack made Channel 4 news in Tucson. Jean Sandoval and myself being "featured" as by standers. FUN, FUN!! After telling mother about the experience, she laughed and talked about the connection with grandpa Nelson. Gr. Nelson was in a underground accident in the early '30's at the Phelps Dodge Bisbee mine as he came upon a stick of dynomite. I have been to the Bisbee Mine several times and not taken pictures - I will next time and share. ENJOY.

0 comments: